Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Gretsch Renown Pure Wood Cherry

  1. #1
    Inactive Member dwdrums55's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2004
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi Drummers,

    This is my first post although I've been reading the site for a long time.

    I'm considering getting a new Gretsch kit (my name aside). I've read all of the posts about the Renown Maple. I went into my local dealer two days ago and found a Renown Pure Wood Cherry drumset. They are only making 100 of them. The tom sizes are close to Vinnie's, which I've never seen in a Renown, 6.5x14 snare, 7x10, 8x12, 12x14, 14x16 and 18x22. No kick drum tom mounts. They look GREAT. They sound pretty good too, especially the kick. The toms need some tweaking.

    The price is reasonable. I just don't know anything about cherry wood. I also can't find anything about the set, even on Gretsch's website.

    Do any of you have opinions about cherry? Do you know anything about these limited edition kits?

    Thanks for any help.

    Bill

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ April 12, 2005 03:16 PM: Message edited by: DWDrums ]</font>

  2. #2
    Inactive Member ladanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2003
    Posts
    819
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Saw these at NAMM with Randy Walker. The Cherry was the nicest new kit for sure. The kick was VERY nice. This was better sounding than the Walnut kit for sure.

    Good luck!

    Danny

  3. #3
    Inactive Member dwdrums55's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2004
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Thanks for the reply. Would you say Cherry is similar in sound to Maple?

    Bill

  4. #4
    Inactive Member Groovemeister's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 16th, 2002
    Posts
    687
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Hey DWdrums,

    Hope the quest for the Grestch stuff goes well, but in the event you did find a new kit, you'd have to change your screen name...

    [img]wink.gif[/img]

    MP

  5. #5
    Inactive Member dwdrums55's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 27th, 2004
    Posts
    10
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I know. I still love my DWs but the toms are a bit deep for what I want now. I have a Gretsch set from the late 70s but that's more of a jazz kit. I'm hoping this cherry set will work out nice for an "all-around" kit. It's just hard to pull the trigger!

  6. #6
    Inactive Member ladanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2003
    Posts
    819
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I think Cherry sounds between maple and birch. It's warmer than maple, but not as warm or "eq'd" sounding as birch.

    Hope that makes sense.

    Danny

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just finished reviewing both kits for Drum!. Both are excellent kits, but I prefer the cherry a bit since it has a fuller sound. The sizes are more appropriate for Rock, etc than small group Jazz. 6.5 x 14 snare and 18 x 22 kick.

    BTW, there is one configuration for each kit, so other sizes of drums are not available for either kit. We sold the kit we have at the Drum Pad and the owner now wants my review kit!

    Brad

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Smile

    That's funny, I found the cherry fuller sounding than the walnut.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member drumaddict's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 25th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Great choice in the Purewood, especially for the price. I've played both sets and really dig both sounds (Walnut & Cherry). There are 7 plys instead of the regular 6 for a Gretsch spec and the sizes are different for each kit (other than the kicks). I'm told the extra ply is to keep the shells in round due to the different properties of the wood. The walnut kit had amazing low sweet fundamental resonance where the cherry had a quick attack and decay and also was brighter. If you are a player that plays alot of flurry type tom fills then the cherry will articulate better. If you like the warm thick tone and lower fundamental pitch then the walnut is the way to go. Also dig the new tom brackets and BD spurs.
    Let us know what you end up with....

  10. #10
    Inactive Member ladanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 31st, 2003
    Posts
    819
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Brad, me too.

    I found the Cherry fuller than the Walnut. Again, to my ears, the Cherry was between Maple and Birch, in that it was warmer than Maple, but not as round sounding as birch.

    Danny

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •